Sunday, October 31, 2010

October 16 - Beaver Marsh and Brecksville

Starting Weather: Clear 39°
Ending Weather: Mostly Sunny 60°
Distance Covered:  5.03 miles
Time: 7:26 AM - 4:02 PM
Cabbage White Butterfly
Pie-billed Grebe
Today was a long, but enjoyable day.  We drove to the Beaver Marsh to be there when the sun came up.  That's easier to do now that the days are getting shorter.  We saw an interesting-looking duck that we hadn't seen before.  My first thought was that it was a grebe, and that turned out to be correct.  I walked from the Beaver marsh to Hunt Farm, where Kay met me.  We then drove to Deep Lock Quarry, where Kay left me, and we met in Peninsula.  The day started off with cool temperatures, but it got nicer as the day wore on.  We walked around Peninsula for awhile, and I decided i would walk to the next trailhead, which was Boston.  I love walking under the I-80 and I-271 bridges, and they look so different now than they looked all summer.  Kay met me in Boston.  I went to Trail Mix, a small store run by the Park Association, and purchased a 2011 Cuyahoga Valley calendar.  We plan to enter some photos for next year's calendar.  After wandering around near Boston Store for awhile, we decided to drive to Brecksville.   We started off by going up Route 82 in order to look out over the bridge, down to the towpath below.  The view was pretty, and we got to see the Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad stop and load up the passengers' bikes.  We then went down to the towpath for awhile and took pictures.  We went back up to the bridge to wait for a later train, but it did not come.  We had a great time on this beautiful fall day.

No comments:

Post a Comment