Tuesday, December 28, 2010

December 28 - Craig Pittman Park - Navarre





Gray Squirrel



Southbound today.  Our first stop was Lake Avenue.  We took some photos of some of our favorite summer scenes to contrast with today's weather.  We then drove to Craig Pittman Park in Navarre.  This is a very picturesque area with a stone bridge and pavilion.  As we walked along the trail, I saw a hawk flying ahead.  At the same time, we heard a pileated woodpecker.  I walked ahead to stalk the hawk and Kay went in search of the woodpecker.  I never did find the hawk, but got a photo of a House Wren, some squirrels and a Red-bellied Woodpecker.   Upon turning around to go back to where Kay was, I saw here signaling me to hurry.  She had spotted not one, but two pileated woodpeckers.  We followed their calls and ended up in some fairly thick, brambly off-trail brush.  It was well worth it though, since we got some fairly decent shots of these beautiful birds.  I did not take my long lens, so had to make do with my point and shoot.  A wonderful experience in any event, because this is one of our very favorite birds and they are usually extremely evasive.
Starting Weather: Partly Cloudy 25 °
Ending Weather:
Mostly Cloudy 27°

Pileated Woodpecker




Distance Covered:  1.43 miles
Time: 12:53 PM - 3:15 PM

No comments:

Post a Comment