Sunday, February 7, 2010

February 7


Today Kay was busy with school work. I decided to scope out some of the trail heads North of Clinton and into Barberton. I started out at Center Road. I pulled into the parking lot, but the snow was just too deep. I got out and crossed the street and took a few photos of the trail going North. Then I drove back to Van Buren and drove North. The road was snowy and a little slippery. I turned left onto Vanderhoof and pulled into the parking lot on the North side of the street. I took a few photos but again, the snow was too deep to go too far in. I then moved my car to a spot on the same side of the street, but closer to the trail head on the South side. I had been here a few times before. There is a boardwalk not far in. There were lots of birds here. I walked in a little ways. I didn't bring my big camera out of the car, but snapped a few photos anyway. When I spotted a hawk in a tree, I went back to the car and got my DSLR with my telephoto lens. I took several photos of the hawk and went back to my car. I drove back to VanBuren went North again. I could see the trial on my left and saw a beautiful bridge over swampy land. There was no place to stop but snapped a photo from the car. When I reached Eastern Road I turned left and saw a sign to the north saying "trail closed". I stayed on VanBuren to Snyder where I turned left. I found another trail head here and it looked like there was a parking lot here but it hadn't been plowed.
The lot was on the North side of Snyder. I was not able to find the trail on the South side of the street.
At this point I went West to Second street then North. I had planned to find a few more trail heads, but the roads in Barberton were bad and I got myself turned around. I pulled into a gas station and used my phone to navigate my way home. I was back on the road in about 30 seconds, headed South on Manchester. I planned to stop at the Trailhead on Nesmith Lake, but the parking lot had not been plowed. I consider today a success because I was reminded of some beautiful areas of the trail that I had hiked before. I was also able to check out some new areas. I can't wait to come back and walk every inch of these trails. By the way, I saw where a section of the towpath - a wooden walkway - was under construction between Eastern and Snyder. Of course I took some photos!

21 degrees, partly cloudy, lots of snow, icy roads.

A fine indoor day
Cold, cloudy, icy, snow-drenched
A fine outdoor day!



No comments:

Post a Comment