Friday, June 11, 2010

June 11 - Warmington Road

Starting Weather: Mostly Sunny, 79°
Ending Weather: Mostly Sunny, 75°
Distance Covered:  1.69 miles
Time: 6:26 PM - 8:29 PM
We went to Warmington Road, John Glenn Grove, tonight. This is a beautiful area, and tonight we walked north.  We have seen some new species of birds almost every time we've hiked here.  Today it was harder to see into the canal in some spots because everything was so overgrown.  I went to a specific spot where I had seen a snapping turtle on a log on a previous visit.  As I walked to the spot where I'd seen the turtle (only long enough to watch it splash into the water) I looked back over the vegetation and into the canal.  No snapping turtle today, only two painted turtles on a log - in front of a green heron.  I set up my monopod and started "snapping" away, all the while trying to call Kay.  She didn't answer the first time.  The second time I whispered into the phone to tell her my location and what I had found.  She was actually very close and the heron stayed for quite awhile to pose for both of us.  On the way back to the car, we watched a woodpecker feeding its young in a tree cavity.   It was a great evening on this part of the trail

No comments:

Post a Comment