Tuesday, September 7, 2010

September 6 - Center Road

Differential Grasshopper
Kay being adventuresome







 

  
Starting Weather: Mostly Cloudy 72° 
Ending Weather:Mostly Cloudy 78°
Distance Covered:  2.77 miles
Time: 12:08 PM - 3:06 PM

Today is Labor Day.  We had Billy, Tim, and Jim coming over for home-made pizza later, so we have decided to stay close to home.  We parked at the Center Road trailhead and walked south towards Clinton.  There is an area right off the trail to the east where we have been told there is an owl living in a tree.  We went there but didn't see any owls.  Kay has an idea which tree the owl might be in.  (We have had more luck with owls at home than on the trail.)  We got back on the trail and continued south.  At one point, the trail opens up to the west and you can walk over by the train tracks.  Kay decided to lie down on the tracks to take some photos, but when I looked over at her, I saw that her arm was covered with grease.  Good thing we weren't planning on going anywhere right afterward.  A man with a little boy told me that two fawns had been leisurely snacking on grass near the canal, and that they didn't appear to be bothered by all the people stopping to watch.  I went to the spot he described, but no fawns.  I then went to an area filled with wildflowers, where I saw many goldfinches who flew away as soon as I approached.  I also saw a hummingbird, lagging slightly behind the goldfinches, but who also flew away when i approached.  I lingered for awhile, trying to hide a bit and be perfectly still, but none of them returned while i was there.  Called my son Jim and chatted while I walked towards the Clinton parking lot where Kay was going to meet me.

No comments:

Post a Comment