Monday, March 15, 2010

March 15 - Brecksville, Peninsula


We decided to go back to Brecksville Reservation today to check out the eagles' nest. First we stopped up top on Route 82, on the bridge and took some photos of the towpath area from the bridge. I got some shots looking down the side of the bridge, looking at the river, the railroad tracks and the towpath trail below. We then found a path that led down beside the bridge. After going down the path and taking some photos, we got back into the car and drove down to the Station Road trailhead parking lot. It was 42 degrees and cloudy - even a few sprinkles now and then.
Kay decided to plant herself and her equipment on the trail just north of the eagles' nest. I walked north to Frazee House. It was a nice walk, but I kept seeing hawks circling above, and it made me kind of skittish. I turned around at Frazee House and walked back to where Kay was stationed. She agreed that we could call it a day at this location. We drove south to Boston Mills Road and hiked south for awhile. We walked under the I271 and I-80 bridges. Kay hadn't been on this part of the trail yet. We walked south for awhile, beyond the bridges. It was so beautiful. Although the sky was still cloudy, it had taken on a little bit of a dramatic look now. There was a marshy area just beyond the bridges that was very pretty. Kay decided to go back to the car and drive to Peninsula. I agreed to walk to Peninsula and meet her there.
This was a wonderful walk for me. It sort of reminded me of my childhood, exploring the wooded area around our house with my oldest brother, and sometimes even getting lost!
I walked along a beautiful boardwalk that extended about a quarter of a mile in the Stumpy Basin area. I passed a railroad bridge, and then saw a heron across the river on the bank. I love the views of the river here, and I love that the abundant wildlife signals that the river is getting very healthy again.

On the bridge we go
Looking down to where we've been
Too high - down is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment