Friday, March 19, 2010

March 19 - Lake St., Bridgeport Quarry, Canal Fulton, Clinton



Today was a big day! We started off at lake St. at Ernie's Bike Shop. We decided to purchase a bike rack for Kay's car, so we could ride our bikes on the trail sometimes. Ernie was very helpful, and actually installed the rack on Kay's trunk. Afterward, we decided to walk south, to see how far we could get. (We knew the trail was interrupted for awhile near Lincoln Way.) We got to Lincoln Way and saw signs for a Towpath detour. We followed the signs, which sent us under bridges, along railroad tracks, through city streets, but we never did find where the trail resumed to the south. WE got as far as Tremont Street and turned around. When we got back to Lake St., we stopped and had lunch at the Blue Heron Deli. Since it was in the 60's and sunny, we ate outside. What a wonderful feeling!
Kay wanted to drive north and look for birds. I told her to meet me around the Bridgeport Quarry trailhead, about one and three fourths miles to the north. I set out on foot and Kay drove her car. It was so beautiful out. Along the way, I spotted some small white flowers, the first blooms I'd seen yet this year! How exciting! We met up at Bridgeport Quarry and took some photos. Our plan then was to drive home and get my bike. We would then drive to Canal Fulton and I would ride north. We loaded up my bike onto the new bike rack, but as soon as we got to Canal Fulton and I hopped onto it, it became obvious that I had a flat tire. Bummer! I decided to go ahead and walk to Clinton, where Kay would meet me. It was a long walk, about four miles. The area just south of Clinton was very pretty, and the trail was paved here for awhile. I had remembered walking here before with my friend Amanda and seeing the signs for Stark and Summit Counties. By the time i got to Clinton, I was getting tired. I had walked about nine and a half miles today. Whew!!

At last the snow thaws
We go where we've yearned to go
A long, lovely day

No comments:

Post a Comment