Thursday, March 18, 2010

March 18 - Boston Mills, Valley View, Brecksville



Since Kay wanted to go back to the site of the eagles' nest in Brecksville, I decided to drop her off and head out to some other areas on my own. My first stop was to the Red Lock trailhead which is on Vaughn Road, near Brandywine. I walked south with the goal of reaching Boston Mills Rd. It was another beautiful day, 61 degrees and partly sunny. My walk was thoroughly enjoyable. I could hear all sorts of birds, including several pileated woodpeckers, but none of the little rascals were interested in posing for me. I also heard the loud ruckus made by "peepers," a type of frog. I stopped to take lots of photos when I got to the trailhead on Boston Mills, including photos of the Boston Store and the Pure gas station. Since I was so close, I kept walking south to one of my favorite areas to view the I-271 and I-80 bridges. I stopped under the first bridge, I-271, and took a few photos, then turned around and headed back to Vaughn Rd. I called Kay from the car, and she was still going strong in Brecksville.
I drove up to Valley View to the Canal Visitor Center/Lock 38. From there I walked south. Kind of boring as the trail runs along the road here. I did stop at Tinker's Creek Aqueduct and took some photos of a Belted Kingfisher. There was one here last time I stopped back in January. I was disappointed to see that the trail was blocked for construction on the Fitzwater St. bridge. I had seen signs posted in other areas of the trail, warning of this closing, but I guess I hadn't known exactly where this was until now! I had no choice but to turn around.
I went to Brecksville and walked to where Kay was on the trail, just north of the eagles' nest. We stayed there awhile, and then I helped her carry her gear back to the car. It was still warm and sunny out, 64 degrees.

Majestic eagles
She watches with great patience
While she waits, I trek

No comments:

Post a Comment