Tuesday, March 9, 2010

March 9 - Botzum to Beaver Marsh


We met at the Botzum trail- head. This is one of the trails I had wanted to hike for awhile, but that had been too snowy. We decided ahead of time that Kay would mill around the trailhead and look for birds and other critters, and I would walk towards the Ira trailhead. Kay would then drive to Ira, and we would meet at the beaver marsh.
I enjoyed my walk along the trail, and even spotted my first official Blue heron from the trail. I passed 2 locks on the way and a third between Ira and the marsh. It was a very scenic walk, and the trail runs along the train tracks for awhile. It also runs along the Cuyahoga River, which was lit up in gold as the sun descended.
When I arrived at the Beaver marsh, a man pointed out a beaver to us. We then saw and photographed several more traveling between the boardwalk area and a structure that they had built. Some of the beaver were adults and some were juveniles. They weren't shy about coming around us humans, but they swim very quickly, making them sometimes hard to photograph!
Lots of geese, and even some red-winged blackbirds, which contrary to the popular robin belief, are said to be the true harbingers of spring!

First heron, beaver
Locks and railroad tracks beheld
Euphoric spirits!  

No comments:

Post a Comment