Saturday, March 20, 2010

March 20 - Merriman Rd. to Summit Lake


If that's the Good- year Blimp, this must be Akron! Today I rode my bike along the trail. Kay and I drove to the Big bend area on Merriman Road. She set up on the trail to look for birds. It was chilly when I started riding, about 50 degrees. I rode south with no particular destination, since this was my first ride this year. It was very pretty near the Merriman Road area, with a beautiful boardwalk bordering Valley View Golf Club. I rode down to the Mustill Store and continued to the cascade Locks area. This is a part of the trail with several locks in a row. Unfortunately, some of the locks were destroyed when Route 59 was built in Akron. As I rode south, I encountered the only significant grade in the trail I have seen so far. Two different areas had signs indicating a 5% grade. I was getting so hot at this point that I walked my bike up the grades to save energy. (By this time it was 66 degrees.)I rode over Route 59 on the awesome towpath bridge, and continued on through downtown Akron. I passed the Canal Square YMCA and Canal Park, home of the Aeros. I decided to keep going because I knew there was a break in the trail here, and I wanted to investigate. When I got to the parking lot behind Spaghetti Warehouse, the trail ended. There were signs, however, directing me to continue on in order to get to where the trail resumed. I passed some industrial and seemingly deserted areas, following the signs. I came upon an area of condos that backed up to the trail and the canal, and where a beautiful park-like area had been created. I had just passed some smokestacks labeled "Goodrich," when I looked up and saw the Goodyear Blimp! Aw, Akron!
I kept riding and found the trail again just north of Summit Lake. I called Kay and had her pick me up here. I rode about 6 and a half miles today. It was enjoyable, but it was also more difficult to take photos. As far as needing to explore areas of the trail, to search for gaps, etc., a bike is the way to go!


Alone exploring
What would John R. Naples say
If he saw me there?

No comments:

Post a Comment