Monday, April 19, 2010

April 19 - Crystal Springs


Today was an after-work jaunt. I had planned to take the day off from the trail, but it was so nice and sunny out. I drove to the Crystal Springs trailhead, but ran into a detour on my way. Once I crossed the bridge from the parking lot to the trail, I immediately saw that the trail was closed going south. It said "Closed for mowing," but there was a back hoe park on the trail. I proceeded to walk north. Right away I saw two male cardinals. When one moved to a lower branch, the other followed. This pattern repeated itself until they were both on the ground duking it out. I'm sure it had to be over a woman! I also heard the melodious song of the Eastern Towhhee, but he wouldn't cooperate with my photo efforts. I didn't walk far, and as I neared the parking lot, I saw a downy woodpecker drilling away on a tree. My photo revealed several drill holes in the tree with something oozing out!
The greening of the trail continues daily and is so fun to watch. It's hard to believe that not that long ago, we could barely walk the trails, they were so snow covered!

Detour, trail closure
Cardinals fighting, towhee's song
I dilly-dally

No comments:

Post a Comment