Sunday, May 23, 2010

May 23 - Ridin' the Rails!

Today we rode the Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad, which runs along the Towpath Trail much of the way.  Jim came with us, and we boarded at the North Akron station.We took the round-trip excursion through the park.  It was a beautiful day, and such fun to see the trail from a different perspective.  We started off trying to take pictures through the (dirty) windows, but I decided to get up and go check out the opening above the door nearest our car.  The staff not only didn't chase us, they asked if they were in my way.  It wasn't the most relaxing way to go, but the views were far better.  We rode right by the eagles' nest in Brecksville and got much closer than we ever could have on foot, because of the restrictions.   We plan to ride the train again, in October and December.

1 comment:

  1. Sunday morning, I got a call from Gigi asking if I wanted to join her and Kay on the Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railway train ride round trip Akron to Rockside. It was Sunday morning and the world of 'significance' was ‘concerned’ I wouldn’t get things done I had planned for Sunday, and we were still having Tim’s birthday (our youngest is 23!) celebration later. I responded with imminent interruption: “of course! Why would I want to be inside on a day like this?”

    The ride was gorgeous, I witnessed from the train countless individuals enjoying their day on bikes, with dogs, on horseback, fishing in the ponds, wading in the river, kids exploring nature, playing games, in conversations, visiting the exhibits and more. (can you believe how beautiful the Cuyahoga River has become since it’s notorious days?). The conductor cautioned us “this car – we cannot get the air conditioning to work – you may want to move one car back…” Nope, I thought, it’s being with what is so – besides the a/c cars were far too cold. Gigi and Kay agreed. We spent most of the time observing from the opening between cars that allowed us unrestricted photo access (not through the windows). The staff were kind and allowed us access there.

    I stayed fully present to each and every moment. It was a struggle at times because my mind would drift into thought about this or that: I would simply “get back” and be with the smells, the warm or cool air coming in the opening depending on the train’s location in dense forest or open areas. The bald eagle was feeding her young. How awesome was that? Bald eagles and blue herons! But most of all it was conversations – with the train men, Gigi, Kay, other passengers –each moment present to what is so, each moment suspending any thoughts or judgments about things. As if time had stopped. The trip ended as we pulled into the Akron station just north of downtown. There was a surprising space of peace and joy for that trip and I thanked each and every one of the train men I encountered. There was no future or past in that trip for me, just a creation of beauty and companionship that unfolded at every clack of the rail.

    Jim

    ReplyDelete