Tuesday, May 25, 2010

May 24 - Beaver Marsh

White-tailed Deer
American Beaver
Today must be mammal day.  As I approached the trail from the Ira Road parking lot, there was a doe, standing right on the towpath.  When she saw me, instead of running away, she actually ran towards me.  Of course, I just stood there, snapping away.  She finally turned tail and ran off, but I got a very good look at her.  We walked back to the Beaver Marsh and kept walking to the area where there is a panoramic view of the Cuyahoga River.  This is the spot where the robin's nest had been.  The nest was still there but it was empty!  We walked back to the boardwalk and over to an area where we had seen some rails, snakes and bullfrogs.  Kay yelled out suddenly; there was a beaver about two feet away from her to the side of the boardwalk.  he was too fast for us this time, but we planted ourselves in the same spot - with me almost losing my camera battery and monopod to the marsh in the process.  The beaver was kind enough to make an encore appearance, and then swam over the a bank where he dined on some plants.  Just about this time, a group from the Boys and Girls Clubs walked over, and they got to see the beaver chowing down as well.  As usual, the Beaver Marsh does not disappoint.

No comments:

Post a Comment