Thursday, August 12, 2010

August 12 - Lake Avenue

Starting Weather: Mostly Cloudy, 77°
Ending Weather: Mostly Cloudy, 79°
Distance Covered:  1.12 miles
Time: 9:30 AM - 10:49 AM
Common Buckeye
Cabbage White
Tuscarawas River, Lake Avenue area
Tuscarawas River, Lake Avenue area
This morning I went to Lake Avenue at 9:30, in an attempt to beat the heat.  This is a great area with a lot of visual interest, but we haven't really captured a whole lot of wildlife here.  The first thing i saw was a Great Blue Heron in the river.  Then a huge flock of geese flew over head.  As I walked along the trail, I marveled at the array of wildflowers lining the river.  But the closer I looked, the more butterflies I could see.  There had to be 15-20 different species.  My favorite was the Common Buckeye, one that I had not before encountered on the trail.  I was impressed by the beauty of the flowers along the river, and the photos look nothing like how the area looks most of the year.  I only stayed out a little over an hour, since it was already getting very hot. My newly learned lesson, that great photos can be taken anywhere, anytime, was re-enforced today.

No comments:

Post a Comment