Wednesday, August 18, 2010

August 18 - Lock 4 Park


Starting Weather: Partly Cloudy, 81°
Ending Weather: Partly Cloudy, 81°
Distance Covered:  .55 miles
Time: 5:52 PM - 6:47 PM
Ailanthus Webworm Moth
An after-work trip, still pretty warm out.  We went to one of our favorite - and closest - towpath places, Lock 4 Park.  It was very pretty as always, and I photographed an insect I have seen before, but was never able to identify.  I decided to think "outside the box" to identify what I thought looked like a type of beetle.  As soon as I opened my insect guide to "moths," there it was, the Ailanthus Webworm Moth.  Sounds like a computer virus, right?  It's actually a very pretty insect with an orange body and what appears to be a black-and-white flower design. I'm just happy I finally put a name to this interesting-looking creature! 

No comments:

Post a Comment